Sunday, July 15, 2018

On a Scale of 1-10, How Much Does It Hurt?

Recently, a friend of mine reached out and asked if we could talk. This friend is also gay and Mormon but they are not out like I am. They told me they needed to talk to someone and were sick of trying. I didn't need any explanation to understand what they meant. We went on a drive and talked for about an hour. During our conversation we talked about a variety of things. Most of the conversation was about the gay and Mormon experience and how it's so hard. It is especially hard because we are trying to live the way we know we should, yet there are so many unkind comments from people, including those in the church, that are words not welcomed by the Savior. We both acknowledged that they just didn't understand and we wished they could understand the pain of what we have to go through day after day.

This year in Sunday School we have been reading and discussing the Old Testament. One Sunday, we were discussing the story of Abraham and Isaac. For those who aren't familiar with it, Abraham and his wife Sarah were very old and didn't have any children. They were told by men of God that they would have a son. Abraham and Sarah didn't quite believe it because of their age, but Isaac came and they loved him so. Abraham was a prophet and while communicating with God one day, he was told he needed to sacrifice his son like a lamb. They had waited so long and had prayed endless hours for a child, but now they weren't just told that he would be taken away to serve the Lord on earth. He wasn't being sent to start his own family. They were told he would have to die, and not just die but the death would come from the hands of his own father. It sounds really hard and even traumatizing right? Spoilers: Isaac doesn't die.

If you want to read the rest of the story and see what happens, click Here

When I was listening to the teacher as we shared this story, a phrase came to my mind. "What is your Isaac?" One of these days I really want that as something to hang in my home. What is your Isaac? What is so precious to you but you are willing to give it up to follow an all-knowing God who has the greatest wishes and a perfect plan for you?
Morgan and I went to Jurassic World 2 and loved it!

Religious aspects aside, the thing I desire most is to have a husband and children. It's weird for me to actually type it out, but it's the truth! Late last year I got sucked into YouTube one night and was watching animal movies (I was that nerd kid who adored the TV show "Nature"). While I had been watching a video of an African safari and tourist were watching Cheetahs, I saw a clip that said, "I Let My Husband and Son Shave My Head." I hesitated, then clicked, and watched it. The men, Matt Dallas (who is the main character of the TV show Kyle XY) and his husband Blue Hamilton, have a whole YouTube channel. They include their son, Crow, in almost every single video they have made since they adopted him. I watched video after video of this small family. Crow looks so happy. They look so happy. They are happy. That night was an incredibly difficult night for me. They were living my earthly dream. It was a night that I stayed up very late and many tears were shed until I fell asleep.

I wish people could feel my sorrow. I wish they could have a glimpse at the confusion I feel and desires that I have to stem EVERY SINGLE DAY so that I am focused on my Savior. I wish they could see how their words, sometimes even well-intended, can cause pain and frustration. 

After having publicly come out, a friend approached me and said, "Dallin, I have this great idea for you." I was not exactly excited for this idea, but I smiled and asked what it was. This friend then proceeded to tell me that I should be straight just for ONE day so I could marry *girl who is a mutual friend*. In that moment, I felt years of painful memories heavily dropped onto my shoulders and heart. How could they not realize that I couldn't choose to be gay or straight. How could they not understand what I've had to go through to see how horrible that was to say to me. Most people don't realize how in my early teen years I realized what the attractions meant and I prayed to God saying, "Please don't make me gay. Please please please just make me attracted to girls. I don't know what's wrong with me." I again repeated those prayers in my mid-teen years when I heard another young man exclaim, "It's so great to be straight! I'd hate being gay." I went home and just lay on my bed in utter silence while my mind endlessly repeated his words louder and louder. There were many nights I lay awake trying to figure out what I could do. During Junior High and High School, my best friend would pull out our yearbooks and ask which girl I liked. I panicked every time and tried to end the conversation quickly. I asked out wonderful women to dances throughout High School and they kindly obliged to go with me. In every date I have been on, all I could feel was, "I'm lying to this girl and I know that if we continue, I'm going to break her heart." All potential relationships never progressed because of that screaming voice in my head saying, "When she finds out, you're going to lose her because she won't want a gay man as a husband."
One of my favorite pictures of my Savior. It's name is "Gentle Healer"

Years back, a friend and I decided to drive to St. George for a mutual friend's wedding reception. On our way, gay people came up as a subject and he expressed some frustration at them. He said to me, "Why can't the gays go be gay somewhere else?" My heart felt it had been stabbed. I didn't know where I could go to "be gay" if that didn't involve living in the church and loving God wherever I was. I had hoped this friend would have been more understanding, but at the time, he wasn't.

Every single day, I see and hear small reminders of something I probably won't get in this life. I am not closing off my future of what could happen, but as of right now, marriage is a subject that I have discussed with Heavenly Father many times and as of now, isn't in my near future. When I see a couple (gay or not) together, I have an inner sigh of sadness whether consciously or not.

What am I not getting? I don't get to grow old holding hands with the love of my life. I don't get to sit next to my husband and fight about what TV show we're going to watch on netflix or start a pillow fight because he kept watching and didn't wait for me. I don't get to make him dinner and surprise him with a special night at home. I don't get to plan a secret trip for us to go to California to the beach and Disneyland. I don't get to hold him while he cries because his day was hard or someone said something hurtful. I don't get to have fun bickering in the grocery store about how he is actually the better half. I don't get to say an absolutely amazing pun and laugh as he rolls his eyes for the 10th time that day. I don't get to look back after 30+ years of marriage and sit in awe about how we got through the hard times together and realize the fights over who had to clean the bathroom were pointless. I don't get to hear our children call him daddy and run to him with big hugs as he walks in from work. I don't get to see him lovingly put a band-aid on their knee because they fell on the concrete and give them a kiss all better. I don't get to see him reading bedtime stories and teaching our children to use their imagination. I don't get to see him teach teenagers how to drive cars while freaking out he's about to die. There will be no first dates of kids making sure they're home on time and going out with others who will respect them. There will be no teaching as parents that they need to be kind and loving to all people when we find out our children been cruel to others. I won't get to finally let the youngest child leave for college and be crying my eyes out while he holds me telling me I did a wonderful job raising them. I don't get that one person to tell all my insecurities to and still have them love me anyways. There will be no slow dancing to music with him that makes me cry, sing, or laugh. I don't get to rest my head on his shoulders and sigh knowing everything will be okay because I have him and he has me.

On a scale of 1-10, how much do you think it hurts? Some days, it's at the full 10 if it doesn't feel like an 11. It's heartbreaking, isn't it? This is what I wish people understood of my story. This isn't easy. There are so many people who want this and all we can hear from so many is "You don't deserve it because my beliefs are different." Some people do get to have what I want, but my pathway isn't going that way. I am choosing something I love with all my heart over something that is almost as significant and important to me. I am denying a part of me that is NOT a choice (If you question that, you can read the Church's stance Here) and people still try to criticize and change. I have cried many nights because I have no idea why I have to go through this, but others act like I chose it, so therefore I must be berated.

Why does this have to be my Isaac?

The answer: I don't know.

What do I know?

I know there is not only a God, but there is a Heavenly Father who knows all and loves all. I know personally that He loves me, watches over me, and that I am His son. I have heard his words and I have felt the truth. I know I love him more than myself and anything else in the world. I know there is life after death. I know the Book of Mormon is true and was translated by Joseph Smith Jr.

Do you want to know why I'm choosing this life? You can read my blog post "Why I Choose To Be Mormon When I Didn't Choose To Be Gay"

Facetiming David while he was in Switzerland

All I want from this post is that you will have some kind of understanding of one persons (my) pain. I cannot speak for others and what they are going through, have gone through, or even what they WILL go through. If you can understand my pain to the tiniest amount, maybe then you might understand why certain things must be left unsaid. Certain feelings, prejudices, and presumptions will be dropped. When I have taken time to learn from others and see their pain in the best way that I can even come close to understanding, I have felt a greater capacity of love than I felt before. Those experiences have taught me how to be more charitable and Christ-like. The prophet Moroni talks about charity.

In Moroni 7, we read,

44 If so, his faith and hope is vain, for none is acceptablebefore God, save the meek and lowly in heart; and if a man be meek and lowly in heart, and confesses by the power of the Holy Ghost that Jesus is the Christ, he must needs have charity; for if he have not charity he is nothing; wherefore he must needs have charity.
45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail.

What will you do to try to be more understanding? Will it take reading of a post of a vulnerable and imperfect man who is gay and chooses to be Mormon? What will it take for love and understanding to be in your heart? What will finally halt your unkind and cruel thoughts being typed out on the internet or words spoken filled with spite solely to prove your point?

Can the love of God not do greater good than man's hate-filled heart which is full of misunderstanding? Don't you want more joy and love to be abound upon the Earth?

I know I do. I know that together we can make that happen. All we have to do is truly listen and truly learn. Then we will feel of His love at a greater level and become a greater and more empowered people in Zion to do His will. 

16 comments:

  1. Dallin, I can't tell you how much your post has moved me. Thank you for you example and commitment to the gospel of Jesus Christ under the most trying of circumstances. It makes we want to do better dealing with my
    "Isaac[s]" when I see your heartfelt anguish, effort and example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris thank you for your comment! I’m so glad you enjoyed this post. I hope you are given strength to continue through your “isaacs”!

      Delete
  2. Can I copy and paste this to an email group? I know some people that this will be helpful for them to read. ;) thank you for your beautiful honesty.
    hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Please share it with others! The more the merrier :)

      Delete
  3. I want to reach through my smartphone and give you a huge hug. You're now one of my heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hug has been accepted and it is quite appreciated!

      Delete
  4. Straight man here who supported Prop 8 vehemently. Now I want to put one of those gay marriage equal sign bumper stickers on my car. I just wanted to voice my support of you and your struggle, Dallin. Ever since someone shared mormonlgbtquestions.com with me, I have been learning much about the subject, as well as allowing myself to befriend LGBT individuals, and I now feel awful for things I said or did before my mind was opened. If you (or anyone reading this) haven't read that essay, please do. It flipped the world as I knew it (at least in regards to LGBT topics) upside down.

    When you look at the history of human rights, people fought positive changes every step of the way, even though we now look at them and see how obvious the right choice was (such as ending slavery and segregation, giving women the right to vote, etc,.). I think this is another one of those changes that our grandchildren will look back on in 100 years and wonder why people treated LGBT individuals with so much hate and disgust.

    Anyway Dallin, it looks like you have a good relationship with God. Keep cultivating that, and live however you feel like He would have you live, not as others (even Church leadership - they don't know everything either) say you 'should'. Don't 'should' yourself to death. Be you. Be true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and Dallin, I would highly recommend listening to "This Is Me," from The Greatest Showman. About twenty times in a row. Seriously. It's my life theme song when I feel like how you have described here.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your comment! I’m glad you’ve had opportunities to understand more of our situation. I have heard This is Me and I love it!

      I think about how in a few generations in the future will look back and it motivates me to keep being better and keep sharing my story. I hope to keep learning and keep teaching so we can all move forwards.

      Delete
  5. I TOTALLY understand was sucked into marriage hoping desires would leave well suppressed until 55 and then realized that I did but have family now and they know nothing of this and will not. yes many years with no one to TRULLY love and share life with - Yes Totally feel the pain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment TJ. Your pain is real and valid. I appreciate and support you!

      Delete
  6. Hi Dallin! I was moved by your post as well. As a straight single LDS female, I can relate. I never married or had children. I feel the same pain of lonleiness amd longing. I wanted SOOOO bad to marry and have a family! I am 60 now and that will never happen. I hate when people say, so it can stiil happen ! No it won't. You are at least fortunate that you were not cursed being unattracive and unappealing on TOP of going thru what you are going thru. God never gave me the physical features necessary to have guys want me. So here I am in kinda the same boat. And it hurts me just as much. Even though its been said I wont be denied in the next life what I was denied in this life....its still got conditions attached to that, its still no guarrantee I wont be alone then as,well. So I feel for ya. But, like you, I'm staying faithful and true, and hope for the best. :) Even though I'm a TB straight LDS girl...Ive always enjoyed hanging out with gay guys! I joined the church in San Francisco, and went to college there and had gay men in my classes, mostly in all my dance classes. You know what? I found out gay men treat women with a lot of respect and kindness. And.....they dont hit on you ! LOL ! I would give anything to have a gay guy friend in my life...believe it it or not, this LDS gal used to love watching Will and Grace!! I wish I had a Will in my life. That would so cool. Know anyone ? :) Anyway, again thank you for your story. I wish more LDS gals could see what sweet kind men you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine I loved your comment! I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your understanding. Life is hard and kind comments like yours mean a lot. I hope you can continue to keep going and receive the strength you need! And no I don’t think I know anyone, but if I happen to find someone I will let you know!

      Delete
  7. You know at the end of that story isaac doesn't die and abraham fathers an entire nation right? He wanted a son. God gave him not only a son but endless generations of offspring. I dont think the point of the story is to show your commitment to God through willingness to sacrifice. If God wanted you to sacrifice your Isaac's the story would have ended with Isaac's death and ... there would be no bible. I think God was teaching abraham to not take the great gift he had been given for granted. But also from a historical point of view the story was probably just a way to explain why the ancient Israelites shouldn't partake in human sacrifice (hence the scapegoat arriving later in the story)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do understand the ending part of the story. There are blessings that came when God saw that Abraham did as he asked. One of the things I love about the gospel and stories is there are many correct interpretations that one can use to help us in our lives! There are so many lessons we have to learn and it’s exciting to know God will use what he has already done to continually teach and remind.

      Delete
  8. Dallin, what a great post. I just now came across it (November 2020). I've often struggled over how to best love my LGBT brothers and sisters and I've always believed that God has a plan. You are a an example of faith and courage and have taught me a thing or two.

    Thanks for making me think, ponder and act better in my life.

    ReplyDelete

What's In A Name?

In one of my favorite book series "The Inheritance Cycle" I have found some lessons that have been very important to me. One of th...